The Devil and I go way back. Growing up, we ran into each other off and on at elementary school, mostly at the principal’s office. It wasn’t until my junior year in high school when I got a car and a girlfriend that we became BFFs, though. Since then, we’ve had many adventures together. The latest came when Chamuco’s Tequila CEO Mark Howard gave me a bottle of the company’s reposado to review. From the snazzy box to the handmade artisan bottle and all the way to the taste, my old buddy’s touch is definitely evident.
Chamuco’s (Spanish for “devil”) is what happens when a caricaturist, a movie director, and a young businessman create their own tequila. At first it was just a novelty to share with friends but in the last ten years or so it’s grown into a full-blown brand. It’s made from 100% blue agave, aged in white oak barrels, and produced in a town named San Francisco de Asis in Jalisco, Mexico.
That’s where it’s poured into hand-blown vintage-style bottles but while all of the artistry that goes into containing the stuff is devilishly cool, we all know the real test is sipping it. Let me tell you, Chamuco’s did not disappoint. Not only was it smooth and sweet, it also bore flavors of fruit, smoke, and a tiny touch of burning. Even the tequila haters among my barbecue crew were pleasantly surprised by the smoothness.
With Cinqo de Mayo coming up in less than a week, I also thought it’d be a good idea to hunt down some margarita recipes to get the best use out of the Devil’s firewater. If you’re interested in trying this smooth sexy beast for yourself, you can buy it here.
- 1½ ounce tequila
- ¾ ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce blue agave nectar and water (mixed)
- Combine the ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Shake and strain into the cocktail glass of your choice.
- 1¼ ounce tequila
- ¼ ounce triple sec
- 1½ ounce coconut milk
- ½ ounce mango puree or mango juice
- ½ ounce fresh lime juice
- Combine the ingredients in an ice-filled shaker.
- Shake well
- Strain it into a glass over ice.
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier liqueur
- 1½ ounce tequila
- ¾ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- Combine the ingredients in a cocktail shaker full of ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain it into a glass on the rocks.
- 3½ cups strawberries
- 2½ cups crushed ice
- ½ cup tequila
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons Cointreau
- Combine everything in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the finished margaritas into four large glasses, garnish with lime, and serve ASAP.
- ½ ounce tequila
- ½ ounce sambuca
- hot sauce (to taste)
- Pour the sambuca into a shot glass.
- Carefully add a layer of the hot sauce using a spoon.
- Layer the tequila on top and serve.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- CaJohn’s New Classic Small Batch Sauces | Interview - 08/17/2016
- Deadline Tonight | Scovie Awards Early Bird Special - 07/15/2016
- 1 Day to Scovie Early Bird Special Deadline! - 07/14/2016