Each year we waste tons of post-Halloween pumpkins by tossing them in the trash so this year I took mine, chopped ol’ Jack in half, and tossed his carcass in my smoker for two hours, intending to further my experiments on uses for smoked gourd. This time, I made the switch to sugar pumpkins and it worked wonderfully.
Pumpkin-infused dark rum is pretty out there, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Overall, I liked the way it came out but make sure you don’t overdo it on the pumpkin. Too much of it and you’ll lose most of the rum or have to squeeze it out! This time, I made milkshakes with it at a friend’s Halloween party. The hardest part? Meeting demand. I made alcoholic milkshakes for ten people before I ran out. Here are the recipes for both the smoky pumpkin-infused rum and the shakes that followed.
- 200 ml dark rum
- ½ cup smoked sugar pumpkin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix up the pumpkin and spices with a spoon, then place it into a small, clean spaghetti jar.
- Fill it the brim with the rum (no air allowed).
- Twist the lid in place, stick the jar in the refrigerator for four or five days, then strain it through cheese cloth until the rum runs clear.
- 6 shots smoked pumpkin-infused dark rum
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 4 cups vanilla bean ice cream
- 2 cups milk
- Blend in your blender until smooth.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- CaJohn’s New Classic Small Batch Sauces | Interview - 08/17/2016
- Deadline Tonight | Scovie Awards Early Bird Special - 07/15/2016
- 1 Day to Scovie Early Bird Special Deadline! - 07/14/2016