If you’re looking to explore the savory side of smoked pumpkin instead of the sweet (like we did with the smoked pumpkin pie), soup is a great start, especially as fall kicks into full gear. I’ve made this soup for a couple of years now and it usually disappears quickly.
- 1 lb bacon (fried and chopped up)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 4 cups smoked pumpkin, pureed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- Heat the stock, salt, pumpkin, thyme, garlic, bacon and peppercorns to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let the soup simmer uncovered for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the cream, stir it with a spoon until it's blended evenly.
- Pour the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh parsley.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- CaJohn’s New Classic Small Batch Sauces | Interview - 08/17/2016
- Deadline Tonight | Scovie Awards Early Bird Special - 07/15/2016
- 1 Day to Scovie Early Bird Special Deadline! - 07/14/2016