This recipe is a classic in German BBQ forums (I believe credit may go to Thorsten in Wesel). It goes like this: Brushed with olive oil, thinly sliced zucchini strips are softened on the grill. The strips are then wrapped around feta cheese cubes that were dipped in a mix of oregano and other spices. Make the mix as spicy as you like! Finally, the packages are tightly wrapped with thin strips of lean pork, fixed with a skewer, then grilled to perfection. I made these when
Dave and his wife Mary Jane came visiting us in Bardolino, Italy in the spring of 2015.
- 1/2 pound lean lamb or pork
- 2 medium-sized zucchini (about 1” in diameter)
- Olive oil
- 1 package (7 oz./200 g) feta cheese
- Oregano, dried
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Barbecue rub or spice
- 8 skewers (wood or metal)
- Cut the two zucchini into thin 1” wide strips, brush with olive oil and grill just long enough to become a little soft and flexible.
- Cut feta cheese into 1” cubes and roll in oregano (or a mix of oregano and red pepper flakes).
- Tightly wrap the zucchini slices around the spiced feta cubes.
- Cut the lamb or pork into thin slices, also about 1” wide, brush lightly with olive oil.
- Wrap the meat strips tightly around the zucchini/feta packages. Place instantly two packages each on a skewer (when wooden skewers are used, soak these in water first, for about 30 minutes).
- Optional: Dust with your favorite barbecue rub or spice mix (Cajun mix makes a good match).
- Lightly brushed with a little olive oil, place the "lollipops" on a medium-hot grill with direct heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- Invite Dave and have him occasionally turn the skewers to brown all sides.