Pumpkin barbecue sauce. Hit your tailgater buddies or the costumed drunks at your next Halloween party with that idea and see what they think.
I took some of this year’s homegrown smoked sugar pumpkin and turned it into what I thought would make a pretty good barbecue sauce for pork or chicken. Although I’m going to make a tweaks, I loved the results from this first run. It has a noticeable kick on the end of each bite that’s pretty well balanced. Try it for yourself and give us some feedback. I used it on two pounds of diced pork in my crockpot but for the next round, I’m going to try it with ribs.
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup smoked pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a medium saucepan.
- Heat it to boiling. Reduce the heat to the low setting. Simmer the sauce for two hours.