Ah, Halloween. What better way to bond with kids than overloading on sugar, dressing up in scary costumes, and dining on a pumpkin’s grey matter? Each year, we lobotomize countless Jack O’Lanterns, then roast the yummy seeds in the brain gunk, and feast on them. This pumpkin seed recipe, along with other sizzling holiday snacks, can be found in the article Sizzling Snacks for Holiday Entertaining by Dave DeWitt over at Fiery Foods & Barbecue Central.
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons commercial Cajun seasoning powder
- 1 teaspoon safflower oil
- 8 ounces shelled, unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces lite cream cheese, softened
- Fancy crackers
- Cayenne powder to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg white, cajun seasoning, and safflower oil. Add the pumpkin seeds and stir to coat. Spread the seeds on a non-stick baking sheet, and sprinkle with the salt. Bake the seeds for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Remove the seeds from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Place them in the refrigerator if you need them to cool down quickly.
- Place the softened brick of lite cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Stir the seeds into the cream cheese and then place the mixture into a small, attractive serving dish. Place the dish on a platter and then put the crackers around the dish.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- CaJohn’s New Classic Small Batch Sauces | Interview - 08/17/2016
- Deadline Tonight | Scovie Awards Early Bird Special - 07/15/2016
- 1 Day to Scovie Early Bird Special Deadline! - 07/14/2016