Sweet in flavor and pink in color—optional—these tamales are a treat for breakfast or after a light dinner. Recipe by José C. Marmolejo
- 1 cup lard
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 lbs coarse corn dough
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins and/or strawberries or blueberries
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp red vegetable food coloring optional
- In a blender mix the lard with the baking powder and beat for at least three minutes. Mix the dough with the water vigorously to an until an homogeneous mixture is obtained. Add the sugar, raisins and/or berries and the coloring if chosen and mix. Place between 4 and 5 oz of dough on a corn leave and spread. Fold and close like an envelope. Place the tamales vertically in a steamer arranging them so the tamales do not block the steam up. Steam the tamales for an hour. After that pull one out and check if they are ready.
Share this Recipe
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by José C. Marmolejo (see all)
- Unconventional Seafood Salsas - 04/25/2022
- Cocineras Tradicionales: The Traditional Cooks of Mexico - 04/01/2022
- Carnitas Calientes - 03/11/2022