This marinated spicy salad is rather like the traditional Mexican Christmas Eve Salad and takes advantage of fall vegetables. Substitute celery for the jicama, add oranges or apples, and you have a lower-fat take on a Waldorf salad.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, fresh preferred
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper, such as red New Mexico or piquin
- 1 cup jicama, julienne cut in thin stick-size pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled, julienne cut in thin stick-size pieces
- Lettuce leaves
- Garnish: Chopped toasted pecans
- Combine the oil, lime juice, vinegar, and chile in a mixing bowl and whisk to blend.
- Toss the vegetables with the dressing and let sit for an hour to blend the flavors.
- Line individual salad plates with the lettuce leaves and spoon the marinated vegetables on the lettuce. Garnish with the pecans and serve.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Basic Rules of Pickling Peppers - 10/15/2018
- Who Eats a Carolina Reaper Dipped in Hot Sauce and Shocks His Tongue? - 10/11/2018
- New Mexico Red Chile Sauce - 10/08/2018