Devil’s Tart may sound like a binge watch on Pornhub but it isn’t. Rather, it’s a dessert. At least in this case. See, sweet heat is popular in southern Italy, as evidenced by this tart, which is a specialty of the Sabbia d’ Oro restaurant of the Calabrian province of Cosenza. Note: chile jam is readily available from mail order sources.
- 5 ounces soft butter
- 5 ounces sugar
- 1 large egg plus 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 11 ounces flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 ounces orange jam
- 4 ounces red chile jam (Marmellata di Peperoncino)
- 4 ounces almonds, peeled and chopped
- 2 ounces confectioner’s sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugar and mix well. Add the egg yolks, egg, and lemon peel.
- In another bowl, combine the flour and baking powder and slowly add to the butter-sugar-egg-mixture.
- Roll out half of the dough and spread over a tart dish (pie dish).
- Spread the orange jam evenly on the dough in the pie dish, and then the chile jam evenly on top of the orange jam. .
- Combine the almonds with the remaining half of the dough, mix well, and roll out in the size of the pie dish.
- Tightly cover the tart in the dish with the rolled-out dough sheet. Bake the tart at 350°F. for about 30 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool on a rack and dust with confectioner’s sugar before serving.