Gado gado salad originates from Indonesia. It usually packs veggies, hard boiled eggs, fried tofu, and lontong. The Byron Bay Chilli Co. version brings the heat thanks to their Fiery Coconut Chilli Sauce in the peanut dressing. Should you bust it out at a party, serve platters of Indonesian salad, Thai chicken parcels (appetizers), and fiery grilled chicken with Asian noodles for the main course, too.
Gado Gado Salad Ingredients
- 200g firm tofu, cut in large cubes
- Vegetable oil
- Lettuce leaves or shredded cabbage
- 4 medium red potatoes, steamed and sliced
- 500g green beans, blanched
- 2 large carrots, peeled, sliced and blanched
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, deseeded and sliced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- Chopped roasted peanuts
- Sliced red chillies (optional)
Spicy Peanut Salad Dressing
- ½ cup smooth or chunky peanut butter
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup Byron Bay Chilli Co Fiery Coconut Chilli Sauce
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Fry tofu cubes in hot oil until crisp. Drain well on paper towels. To assemble salad, line each plate with lettuce leaves or cabbage and arrange vegetables, eggs, tofu and sprouts on top. Drizzle with dressing (below) and sprinkle with peanuts and chillies.
- For the salad dressing, combine all dressing ingredients and add water as necessary to thin dressing to desired consistency. Dressing should be pourable but not too thin.
You can also add cooked chicken or prawns to the salad to jazz it up, too. If you want it hotter, add a few drops of Heavenly Habanero Chilli Sauce to make it spicier.
Photo Credit: Nelly LeComte
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Ninja Makes an Outdoor Grill Now? Yes. Yes, They Do - 09/21/2022
- Wright Brand Celebrates 100 Years of Bacon - 09/14/2022
- White Castle Bumps Up 1921 Slider Line-Up - 09/07/2022