Byron Bay Chilli Co makes a great Green Jalapeno Chilli Sauce that works really well in these chicken enchiladas. Enchiladas can also be made several hours ahead, covered, and refrigerated before baking, which is great for time management. You can also freeze them unbaked for longer storage. When the time comes, place them directly from the freezer into a preheated oven, adding 5 to 10 minutes extra baking time.
Byron Bay Chilli Co Green Chilli Chicken Enchiladas Ingredients
- 3 cups shredded tasty cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chopped chicken
- ¼ cup each sultanas and slivered almonds
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup Green Jalapeno Chilli Sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped coriander
- ¼ cup each butter and flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Green Jalapeno Chilli Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 small corn or flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup finely sliced green onions
- Optional garnishes: guacamole, sour cream
- To make the filling, combine 1 cup cheese, onion, chicken, sultanas, and almonds in a bowl. Stir in 2/3 cup sour cream and 1/3 cup chilli sauce. Season with salt and set aside.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan and whisk in the flour. Cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and whisk constantly until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup chilli sauce and 1 cup sour cream.
- To heat the tortillas, warm them in a hot dry frying pan until soft and stack them on a plate.
- To assemble the enchiladas, organize the ingredients in the following order: baking dish, an empty plate, filling, and the plate of tortillas. Pour 1/3 of the sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Then place a tortilla on the empty plate. Spoon approximately ½ cup of the filling down the center of the tortilla. Place the right side of the tortilla over the filling and then overlap the left side to form a roll.
- Place the rolled enchilada seam-side down in the baking dish. Continue to fill the remaining tortillas. Spoon the remaining sauce evenly over the rolled tortillas to cover and sprinkle them with 2 cups of shredded cheese and green onions.
- Bake uncovered at 180°C for 20 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling around the edges. Serve each portion garnished with a spoonful of guacamole and sour cream (optional).
- Serve with a salad of sliced oranges, cucumber and red onion on greens dressed with a citrus and coriander vinaigrette.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- A History of Peppers in the United States Pt 1 - 05/12/2021
- Byron Bay Chilli Co: Seafood Barbecue - 05/11/2021
- Pit Boss Grills Announces All-New Line Of Spices And Sauces - 05/04/2021