One of my favorite hot sauces this year is CaJohn’s Frostbite. It’s a semi-clear concoction that’s opened up a whole new frontier of possibilities when it comes to upgunning the kick on foods I’d never add heat to with a conventional tomato or green sauce. Cocktails were an obvious choice but this weekend, I tried it with something very different: lemon/orange sorbet.
My 2-quart Cuisinart ice cream maker is one of my all-time favorite toys. Any excuse to dump a bunch of stuff in it and foist it on my friends is a good excuse. Tweaking a citrus-based ice dessert with Frostbite? Yeah, making that decision took all of five seconds. And only because I’m a slow thinker.
The recipe worked even better than I’d hoped. Everyone who’s tried it has really enjoyed it. The amount I used gave the sorbet a nice kick which takes a few seconds to hit you, giving plenty of time to enjoy the sweet and the lemon on their own. Moreover, the bite only lasts a few minutes. If you want it to really build, though, you can scarf the sorbet down super fast. If you’re real lucky, you may even get an ice cream headache in the bargain. Yay you!
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups lemon juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 teaspoons CaJohn’s Frostbite
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil over medium heat (do not mix them).
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3-5 minutes. This gives you a simple syrup.
- Let the simple syrup chill completely. It’s a good idea to make it ahead of time but not necessary. You need to let it fall to room temperature, then leave it in the fridge to finish chilling.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together.
- Assemble the ice cream mixer, pour in the mix, turn the mixer on, and let it work its magic for 25-30 minutes. You’ll get a soft sorbet. If you want to harden it, put the sorbet in the freezer for 2 hours, then let it sit out 15 minutes prior to serving.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- 2024 Scovie Awards Call for Entries - 07/07/2023
- 2024 Scovie Awards Early Bird Special: 3 Days Left - 06/29/2023
- 2024 Scovie Awards Early Bird Deadline Looms - 06/25/2023