Byron Bay Chilli Co has just the ticket if you want scones but don’t want to come across as a pretentious little nitwit who horks down foofy overpriced coffee “beverages” with more characters in the title than the roster of an Avengers movie. That would be these here spicy jalapeno scones. While they recommend the BBCC Green Jalapeno Chilli Sauce, you’d do well to experiment with the heat and flavor profiles by trying a variety of their sauces, too.
Spicy Jalapeno Scones Ingredients
- 3 ½ cups regular flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 185g cold butter
- 165 g tasty cheese
- ¾ cups pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup Green Jalapeno Chilli Sauce
- Egg wash
- 125g butter
- 2 tablespoons Green Jalapeno Chilli Sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced coriander
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Cut the cold butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl. Pulse until the mixture becomes coarse crumbs and then tip it into a medium-sized bowl.
- Cut the cheese into small cubes and add it to the bowl along with the jalapeno slices. Stir gently to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, egg, and chilli sauce and pour that into the flour mixture. Stir until the dough comes together and knead it gently a few turns.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and pat it into approximately an 8-inch circle.
- Make a wash by combining 1 egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of water and brush the wash over the top of the dough.
- Cut the dough into 8 or 12 medium wedges. Place the wedges on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve the finished scones hot or at room temperature with Jalapeno Butter (below).
- Combine all ingredients using a stick blender or processor.
- Serve the softened butter with Jalapeno Scones or with crusty rolls.