I’m always on the prowl for new hotness in my Halloween and Thanksgiving dishes. This spicy pumpkin curry by Byron Bay Chilli Co certainly qualifies. Not only that, you can make it extra hot with a bit of Heavenly Habanero Chilli Sauce.
Spicy Pumpkin Curry Ingredients
- 4 red cayenne chillis
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 4 shallots
- 2 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamon
- ½ teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 cups lite coconut milk
- 1 ½ kg pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut in chunks
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ bottle Byron Bay Spicy Lemongrass Chilli Sauce
- 1 small red capsicum, julienned
- 2-4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- Chop 2 of the cayenne chillis coarsely.
- In a food processor, combine chillis, garlic, shallots and 1 tablespoon oil. Blend them all into a paste.
- Heat the remaining oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add the paste to the oil and cook for 5 minutes. Add the ground spices and cook for another minute.
- Add coconut milk and stock and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Turn the heat to low and add the pumpkin and the cinnamon stick. Cook until the pumpkin is tender and the sauce has reduced. If the sauce is too thin, remove the pumpkin and continue to reduce the sauce until it’s thickened.
- Return the pumpkin and add salt to taste. Stir in the chilli sauce, capsicum, and lime juice.
- Cook for 2 minutes. Be careful not to overcook as the pumpkin chunks will break down and you’ll have pumpkin soup.
- Serve over rice garnished with the remaining 2 cayenne chillis (thinly sliced), and the coriander.
Photo by Nelly le Comte