Don’t let anyone tell you these spicy pumpkin muffins are pumpkin spice-level basic. Well, maybe let them, have them taste one for themselves, and reap the amusement from their reaction when they realize that the spicy in this take comes from bhut jolokia pepper in them. You see, this is an even spicier version of the Spicy Pumpkin Muffin published in The Habanero Cookbook using the elusive but delicious ghost pepper!
Super Spicy Pumpkin Muffins Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried jolokia “ghost” chile. (Note: if you must grind your own, do so only in a well vented room! Jolokia is tasty but you really do not want to breathe it.)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup pepitas (dried pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375. Oil 12 muffin tin cups or muffin pan.
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Cream the shortening and sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the pumpkin and milk and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds mixing well after each addition.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon for the topping.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them two-thirds full. Sprinkle the sugar-cinnamon mixture over the top. Bake until a a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool in muffin tin before turning out.
The following two tabs change content below.
Managing Editor | Mark is a freelance journalist based out of Los Angeles. He’s our Do-It-Yourself specialist, and happily agrees to try pretty much every twisted project we come up with.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Hot Sauced Shad Roe with Green Chile & Pepper Cheese Scrambled Eggs - 04/24/2023
- Traeger Grills Launches New Flatrock Grill - 02/22/2023
- Traeger Launches Re-Imagined Ironwood Grills - 02/15/2023