Some people in Trinidad and Tobago believe that the way for a woman to catch a husband is too feed him her best callaloo. This crab callaloo variation features crabmeat, a common and tasty addition, and it is often served after the road marches.
Crab Callaloo Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk (not sweetened coconut cream)
- 1/2 pound smoked ham, diced, or 1 small ham hock
- 2 1/2 cups washed, coarsely chopped, firmly packed callaloo (dasheen), or substitute spinach leaves
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Congo pepper (habanero), seeds and stem removed, minced
- 1 pound cooked crabmeat, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan and saute the onion, celery, and garlic for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock, coconut milk and ham and bring to a boil. Add the callaloo or spinach, the okra, thyme, black pepper, and Congo pepper.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the callaloo is thoroughly cooked.
- Whisk the soup until very smooth, or puree it in small batches in a blender. Add the crabmeat and heat thoroughly. Add the butter, swizzled over the top, and taste for salt.
The following two tabs change content below.
Managing Editor | Mark is a freelance journalist based out of Los Angeles. He’s our Do-It-Yourself specialist, and happily agrees to try pretty much every twisted project we come up with.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Hot Sauced Shad Roe with Green Chile & Pepper Cheese Scrambled Eggs - 04/24/2023
- Traeger Grills Launches New Flatrock Grill - 02/22/2023
- Traeger Launches Re-Imagined Ironwood Grills - 02/15/2023