Here is a tropical change from the usual celery seed coleslaw. Allow the dressing to sit as long as possible to build up the heat. From the article Mango Madness!
- 2 green mangos, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 papaya, peeled, reserving 3 tablespoons of the seeds
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 small purple onion, thinly sliced
- Chopped fresh watercress for garnish
- 1/2 papaya, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 habanero chile, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons papaya seeds
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Julienne cut the mangoes and papaya in strips 1/4-inch wide and 2 inches long. Combine the mango, papaya, cabbage, and onion in a bowl.
- To make the dressing, place the papaya, sugar, vinegar, habanero, and papaya seeds in a blender and, with the machine running, slowly add the oil. Puree until blended and the papaya seeds look like ground pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add just enough of the dressing to lightly coat the salad, garnish with the watercress, and serve.
The following two tabs change content below.
Managing Editor | Mark is a freelance journalist based out of Los Angeles. He’s our Do-It-Yourself specialist, and happily agrees to try pretty much every twisted project we come up with.