This Cajun style roast chicken is an elegant presentation but easy to prepare even in the dead of winter. A perfectly roasted chicken, tender and juicy, with crispy skin makes a wonderful Sunday dinner when accompanied with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and a green vegetable or tossed salad.
Cajun Style Roast Chicken Ingredients
- 1 (5-pound) roasting chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Cajun spice
- 1 tablespoon crushed rosemary
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- Preheat the grill to medium high (375 degrees F) and set up for indirect cooking.
- Rinse the chicken well, and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Rub olive oil over the outside of the chicken. Rub the Cajun spice and crushed rosemary all over the outside of the chicken.
- Put the chopped vegetables in the bottom of a roasting pan. Add two cups of chicken stock and the peppercorns. Put the chicken on a roasting rack in the pan, put the pan on the unheated side of the cooking grate, and roast for 20 minutes per pound or until the thigh has an internal temperature of 175 degrees F.
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Yield: 2 to 4 servings
Heat Scale: Mild