Byron Bay Chilli Co’s red chicken chile not only brings the heat, it also has a bit of chocolate in the flavor to boot. Moreover, this chilli can be made several days in advance. That’s a good way to let the flavors meld and build. It can also be frozen. Serve it in individual bowls with a selection of condiments to spoon on top: sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped red onions, sliced green onions, chopped tomatoes, chopped fresh chilles, pickled sliced jalapenos, chopped coriander, lime wedges and so on. Or spoon chilli into hot flour tortillas along with any of the above condiments for burritos. Chilli can also be served over rice.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red capsicum, chopped
- 4 chillies, minced (optional)
- 2-4 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 chicken breast fillets, cubed
- 2/300g Salsa Picante (Mild or Medium) or a bottle of BBCC Red Cayenne Chilli Sauce
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup grated dark chocolate
- sour cream
- 1 bunch green onions, finely sliced
- Heat oil in a large pot. Sauté onions, garlic, capsicum and chillies until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in ground seasonings and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and cook until lightly browned. Stir in salsa, tomato puree, chicken broth and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add extra broth if needed. Season to taste with salt and stir in chocolate. Serve in bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of green onions.
Photo by Nelly le Comte
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Dave’s Chipotle Gravy - 11/12/2021
- Grilled Salmon Steaks with Green Chile Lime Sauce - 11/10/2021
- Veteran’s Day: Black Rock Bar & Grill Offers Free Steak Dinner - 11/09/2021