For the record, this is the only time I freely admit to jerking my meat in public. That’s because on this occasion we’re talking about Jamaican Jerk pork sliders with sweet potato fries, not some drunken incident involving bail money. See, earlier this year, Pirate Johnny’s gave us a selection of their spice rubs to review. This happens to be their Jamaican Jerk: Hot rub’s turn.
Pirate Johnny’s is a Caribbean sauce and spice rub operation out of Florida and I met them at the last National Fiery Foods & BBQ Show. They carry a sizable selection of Cuban, Jamaican, and other Caribbean style barbecue spice blends and sauces. Their Jerk rub blends sweet and heat pretty well, with a nice taste of ginger to it. The stuff has a hot kick in the spicy department yet it’s not overpowered with fire. It balances the brown sugar, cayenne, lemon zest, garlic, and other spices pretty well. You can use it on chicken but seeing as how I’m on a bit of an exotic slider kick these days, I busted out some ground pork and took the jerk rub to task with it over the grill. I wanted something quick for a complementary condiment and Mrs. Renfro’s Mild Peach Mango
Salsa fit the bill nicely. Overall, I liked the Jamaican Jerk rub and will definitely use it again.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 3 tablespoons Pirate Johnny’s Jamaican Jerk seasoning rub
- Mrs. Renfro’s Mild Peach Mango Salsa
- 8-10 slider ciabatta rolls
- Heat your grill to medium-high.
- Mix the seasoning with the pork by hand.
- Bust pork mixture up into 8-10 equal sized chunks.
- Massage them into meatballs, then press into slider patties.
- Grill each slider for 2 1/2 minutes per side.
- Place on the rolls, add the salsa to taste.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Orange Chicken with Sundried Peppers - 08/03/2021
- Dude, Seriously Launches World’s First Hot Sauce Vending Machine - 08/02/2021
- Black Bean and Cream Cheese Enchiladas | Byron Bay Chilli Co - 07/30/2021