This approach to chiles rellenos utilizes another wonderful New World food—corn. Serve these covered with green chile sauce. You’ll find this recipe in our larger chile rellenos feature here.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked whole kernel corn
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- 6 green New Mexican chiles, roasted and peeled, stems left on
- Flour for dredging
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- green chile sauce of your choice
- In a skillet, heat the butter and saute the onion and garlic until soft. Add the corn and oregano and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream and cheese.
- Make a slit in the side of each chile and stuff with the corn mixture. Dredge the chiles in the flour and shake off any excess.
- Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Beat the yolks with the water, the tablespoon of flour, and the salt. Fold the yolks into the whites and stir gently.
- Dip the chiles in the egg batter and fry one at a time in 1 to 2 inches of oil until they are golden brown.
Share this Recipe
The following two tabs change content below.
Managing Editor | Mark is a freelance journalist based out of Los Angeles. He’s our Do-It-Yourself specialist, and happily agrees to try pretty much every twisted project we come up with.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Hot Sauced Shad Roe with Green Chile & Pepper Cheese Scrambled Eggs - 04/24/2023
- Traeger Grills Launches New Flatrock Grill - 02/22/2023
- Traeger Launches Re-Imagined Ironwood Grills - 02/15/2023