This recipe, curried with colombo paste, illustrates the Bengal influence in Martinique, particulary the northern part of the island. Why the Bengalis named their curry after Colombo, so far from Calcutta, is not known. This dish is interesting because it contains some ingredients not usually found in curries, such as wine, beans, and cabbage. (The cabbage is a substitute for the green tops of malanga, a tropical tuber.) Cooks can take their choice of cooking this curry with wine or coconut milk. This rather spicy dish is traditionally served with fried plantains. You can find more great curry dishes from us here.
- 2 lbs lean pork, diced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green (or slightly ripe) mango, sliced
- 1 cup cup white wine or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Ceylon Dark Curry Powder
- 2 tsp tamarind paste or pulp
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 habanero chile, seeds and stem removed, minced
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and chopped
- 2 chayotes, peeled and chopped (or substitute hubbard squash)
- 1 cup cooked navy beans
- In a large skillet, brown the pork in the butter for 4 minutes over medium heat. Add the cabbage, onions, and mango and stir-fry for 3 more minutes. Add the wine or coconut milk and enough water to cover the meat mixture and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat, stir in the curry paste, tamarind, garlic, and habanero chile and cook, covered, over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cover and add the eggplants, chayote, and navy beans. Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. The curry sauce should be fairly thick.
Share this Recipe
The following two tabs change content below.
Publisher | Christened the "Pope of Peppers" by The New York Times, Dave DeWitt is a food historian and one of the foremost authorities in the world on chile peppers, spices, and spicy foods.
Latest posts by Dave DeWitt (see all)
- Enchiladas Verdes con Chile Pasado - 02/08/2023
- Smoked Oysters with Ancho Chile Sauce - 01/13/2023
- Machaca Sierra Madre - 01/11/2023