The bad kind of “inflamed fruit” is a gym class injury after forgetting to wear your protective gear. Hu-La-La Tropical Fruit Salsa from Chehalem Ridge Brands is the good kind of fiery fruit: pineappple, mango, and garlic getting down with the sting of jalapeno, habanero, and serrano fire. Chunky and sweet, the fruit flavor hits your mouth first, followed by subtle onion, then the pepper flavor, and finally a lingering sting that takes 20-ish seconds to build in your mouth before reaching top speed. The heat builds the more you eat it because it doesn’t fade quickly.
My only problem with fruit salsas in general is in utilizing them. Chehalem Ridge gave me all four of its fruit heat products to play with at the show. Since then, they’ve been stewing in my gray matter waiting for some ideas. Over the last month, I’ve come up with a few projects that I think are good tests for both fruit and spicy. You’ll be seeing the main one next week. For now, here’s the Jamaican Jerk Pork Burger recipe I used for Hu-La-La’s first test drive.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 8 slices of bacon
- Jamaican jerk seasoning
- Chehalem Ridge Brands pineapple mango salsa
- 4 King's Hawaiian hamburger buns
- 4 slices mild cheddar cheese
- Heat your grill for medium to high heat.
- While the grill is heating, prep the patties. Make sure the pork is cold. Hand mix it in a bowl with the jerk seasoning (2 tablespoons or to taste).
- Form the pork into four equal sized patties. Put them on a plate and refrigerate them for at least a half an hour. Optionally, you can mix the salsa into the meat instead and use the jerk seasoning as a rub during cooking.
- Grill the bacon for 2 minutes per side, then set it on a paper towel to drain off excess grease.
- Grill the patties, lid down, for 4-6 minutes per side. After flipping them, top the burgers with the cheese, salsa, and bacon.
- Toast the buns on the grill for 30-90 seconds.
- Assemble the burgers and serve them up.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Aramark Celebrated National Hot Dog Day 12 Different Ways - 07/18/2019
- Scovie Deadline for Bonus Flipbook is Saturday - 07/18/2019
- White Peach Bourbon Grilling Sauce - 07/14/2019