These barbecued beef ribs are part of a five-part series devoted to chipotles–those many varieties of smoked chiles. You can go here to start reading–and cooking with–chipotles of all kinds.
Barbecued Beef Ribs Ingredients
For the Ribs:
- 3 pounds beef ribs
- 1 Bottle Chipotle Texas Sabroso Southern Rib Rub, buy here
- Soak pecan wood chips in water
For the Sauce:
- 6 Chipotle Texas Smoked Jalapeño pods, stems and seeds removed, rehydrated and chopped, buy here
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground habanero chile
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Rub the ribs with the Southern Rib Rub, wrap them in plastic wrap, and let them sit for at least one hour. Build a charcoal fire in the grill or a pecan wood fire in the smoker.
- To make the sauce, saute the jalapeños, onions, and garlic in the oil in a skillet until soft. Place the mixture in a blender and puree until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients, except the ribs, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened.
- Place soaked wood chips on the charcoal, and place the rips on the grill away from the coals. Cook the ribs indirectly, covered, for about 45 minutes turning several time. Baste the ribs with the sauce and continue to cook indirectly for additional 30 minutes, being careful that they do not burn.
The following two tabs change content below.
Managing Editor | Mark is a freelance journalist based out of Los Angeles. He’s our Do-It-Yourself specialist, and happily agrees to try pretty much every twisted project we come up with.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Hot Sauced Shad Roe with Green Chile & Pepper Cheese Scrambled Eggs - 04/24/2023
- Traeger Grills Launches New Flatrock Grill - 02/22/2023
- Traeger Launches Re-Imagined Ironwood Grills - 02/15/2023