Chilli and chocolate are old friends. In this dessert chimichanga recipe from Byron Bay Chilli Co, the two come together in a fried dessert that’s a great finisher to that Southwestern feast you’ve just served. Uncooked chimichangas can also be prepared hours in advance, covered in plastic and refrigerated. If you want to change this up, substitute sliced mango or bananas for the chocolate, then drizzle the fruit with hot brandy sauce, roll up the chimis, and fry. A scoop of vanilla ice cream is delicious with either the chocolate or fruit variations.
Chilli Chocolate Chimichangas Ingredients
- 250g milk or dark chocolate
- Red Cayenne Chilli Sauce
- 8 thin flour tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
- Cut the chocolate into 8 equal rectangular pieces.
- Heat the tortillas very briefly in a frying pan, turning over and removing them from the heat.
- Place a piece of chocolate in the center of each warm tortilla and drizzle with chilli sauce.
- Fold the ends in over the filling, then roll up sides to make a tight package. Secure the end flaps with a toothpick. Continue until all tortillas are filled.
- Heat 2½ cm (1-inch) deep of vegetable oil in a pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, fry a couple of chimichangas at a time until crisp and golden on both sides. Drain them on kitchen paper.
- Keep the chimichangas warm in the oven until all of them are fried.
- Dust them with the powdered sugar and serve hot. Fingers and chins may become a bit gooey so serve with plenty of paper napkins.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Weber Grills | Chicken and Pepper Nachos - 06/22/2021
- 2022 Scovie Awards: Kid Friendly Categories - 06/22/2021
- Weber Grills: Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Shrimp Poppers - 06/21/2021