Although the title of this Cajun-based recipe is barbecue shrimp, the dish is actually cooked, not barbecued. Using barbecue sauce as a condiment, however, reduces the need for a number of ingredients as well as making it very easy to prepare.
Barbecue Shrimp Ingredients
- 24 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups beer
- 3 tablespoons CHILLI PEPPERS HABANERO BBQ SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Garnish: Lemon wedges
- Sprinkle the shrimp with the black pepper and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until hot and sauté the onion and garlic for 1 minute. Add half the shrimp and, while shaking the skillet, sear the shrimp for 1 minute. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl and keep warm. Add the remaining oil, and repeat with the remaining shrimp. Set all the shrimp aside.
- Add the beer, BBQ sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaves. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Let the sauce cool for 15 minutes and then strain.
- Return the sauce to the heat and simmer until it is reduced by one half.
- Add the shrimp to the sauce, toss to coat, and simmer for a couple of minutes or until heated through. Stir in the butter until it is thoroughly incorporated.
- Serve the shrimp over the rice, garnished with the lemon wedges.