Vietnamese Chicken Curry Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3-pound chicken, boned, and coarsely chopped (1 1/2 to 2 pounds of meat)
- 1/3 cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1?inch cubes
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 bay or curry leaves
- 1 small stalk lemongrass
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup carrots, cut 1?inch thick
- 1 cup milk
- Combine all the dry spices, sugar, and salt and toss with the chicken. Marinate for 1 hour at room temperature.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil for 1 minute over medium heat, and fry the sweet potatoes for about 10 minutes. Remove the sweet potatoes and set aside.
- Using the same oil, fry the garlic and onions for 3 minutes over low heat. Add the bay or curry leaves and the lemongrass. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken with its marinade, mix well, and cook over high heat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the coconut milk, mix well, and cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the carrots and milk and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
The following two tabs change content below.
Managing Editor | Mark is a freelance journalist based out of Los Angeles. He’s our Do-It-Yourself specialist, and happily agrees to try pretty much every twisted project we come up with.