Here is a classic chile sauce from one of the hottest regions–foodwise–in China. This Sichuan chile sauce can be used in stir-fry dishes, added to soups, or sprinkled over rice.
Sichuan Chile Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 fresh red chiles, such as jalapeños, seeds and stems removed, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Chinese red rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Chinese yellow rice wine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Water as needed
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan, add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the onion and stir-fry for another minute.
- Add the chiles and the vinegar and simmer for 10 minutes, adding water if it gets too dry.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the water and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and process to a fine puree, adding water as necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
- Place the sauce in bottles and refrigerate.
The following two tabs change content below.
Managing Editor | Mark is a freelance journalist based out of Los Angeles. He’s our Do-It-Yourself specialist, and happily agrees to try pretty much every twisted project we come up with.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Hot Sauced Shad Roe with Green Chile & Pepper Cheese Scrambled Eggs - 04/24/2023
- Traeger Grills Launches New Flatrock Grill - 02/22/2023
- Traeger Launches Re-Imagined Ironwood Grills - 02/15/2023