This vegetarian consommé can be substituted for vegetable stock in any recipe. The flavor of peppers dominates this powerful, spiced up broth. It is an elegant example of a first course soup that can precede any entree. Find more great recipe ideas here.
Sweet Pepper Consommé Ingredients
- 4 red bell peppers, seeds removed, quartered
- 4 green bell peppers, seeds removed, quartered
- 2 green New Mexico chiles, seeds removed, quartered
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 3 whole bay leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt (or less to taste)
- 6 quarts boiling water
- In a large stockpot, combine all ingredients except the water. Pour the boiling water over the ingredients and boil for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the heat and cool. Strain through a fine sieve lined with cheesecloth.
The following two tabs change content below.
Publisher | Christened the "Pope of Peppers" by The New York Times, Dave DeWitt is a food historian and one of the foremost authorities in the world on chile peppers, spices, and spicy foods.
Latest posts by Dave DeWitt (see all)
- Enchiladas Verdes con Chile Pasado - 02/08/2023
- Smoked Oysters with Ancho Chile Sauce - 01/13/2023
- Machaca Sierra Madre - 01/11/2023