Happy St. Patrick’s Day, everybody! While you stuff yourself with green beer, corned beef, and McDonald’s Shamrock Shakes, I’ll be sipping something I’m calling the Blood Leprechaun. It’s a green tomato and tomatillo-based Bloody Mary that cranks up the heat with CaJohn’s Irish Scream hot sauce in it. You can buy it here.
Irish Scream blends whiskey, brown sugar, honey, and three fire sources: jalapeno, crushed red chile, and cayenne pepper. It’s got a sweet overtone with a hot finish. CaJohn intended it for Irish stew, but I thought I’d blend it up with some greenery, pour it in a green bell pepper, and get a nice jump on that Tuesday hangover. Bloody Maries aren’t my drink of choice but this sweet heat version may be a repeat. Here’s my recipe. I’m not sure this was the best use of a sweet sauce or not. Irish Scream would be great for barbecue, especially for sweet chicken wings. I’ll follow up with that later this month.
- 3 cored and chopped tomatillos
- 2 medium sized green tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 ounces of vodka
- 2 teaspoons CaJohn’s Irish Scream or other hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a blender, puree everything but the vodka.
- Mix in the vodka.
- Pour into 1-2 glasses. Or, if you’re trying for some artsy photo op for a blog, a cored bell pepper.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Giblet and Smoked Oyster Stuffing - 09/20/2021
- Moroccan Vegetables with Couscous | Byron Bay Chilli Co - 09/17/2021
- Grilled Oysters with Spicy Mignonette Sauce - 09/15/2021