We first ran this Tamale Pie recipe here, along with video. Dave published it in 1001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes and it never gets old. I’m going to make a few variations on it this month and I’ll be sure to share them with you here!
- 1 4 lb chicken cut into pieces
- 2 large onions chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 each green New Mexican chiles roasted, peeled, stems and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups whole kernel corn
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup masa harina
- 2 each eggs separated
- 2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese grated
- Simmer the chicken, 1/2 of the onions, and the garlic in water to cover until the chicken is done and starts to fall away from the bones. Remove the chicken. Strain the broth and reserve.
- Remove the meat from the bones and chop the chicken along with the remaining onion. Combine with the chiles and sour cream. Place the mixture in a casserole dish.
- Bring the reserved broth to a boil and gradually add the masa while stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and cook until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the egg yolks. Spread this batter over the casserole and top with the grated cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees.
Share this Recipe
The following two tabs change content below.
Managing Editor | Mark is a freelance journalist based out of Los Angeles. He’s our Do-It-Yourself specialist, and happily agrees to try pretty much every twisted project we come up with.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Hot Sauced Shad Roe with Green Chile & Pepper Cheese Scrambled Eggs - 04/24/2023
- Traeger Grills Launches New Flatrock Grill - 02/22/2023
- Traeger Launches Re-Imagined Ironwood Grills - 02/15/2023