From the Netherlands Antilles’ island of Saba comes this simple, steeped hot sauce that graces seafood dishes or simple rice. Malt vinegar, made from malted barley, is the secret taste ingredient. Because of the vinegar, this sauce can be kept for a month or so in the refrigerator.
- 1 Scotch bonnet chile (or habanero), seeds and stem removed, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Place the chile, onion, and garlic in a small bowl and mix well.
- Combine the vinegar, water and salt in a saucepan and bring to a strong boil.
- Add the boiling mixture over the chile mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add the oil and stir well.