This Malawi curry powder blend is the hottest curry powder we found in Africa, although some pastes like berbere might top it on the heat scale. Traditionally in Malawi, the spices are sun-dried before being ground and are not toasted. Note the large amount of cloves in this recipe, which is a possible influence form nearby Madagascar, a clove-growning island.
Malawi Curry Powder Ingredients
- 10 small, hot dried red chilies, such as piquins or santakas, seeds and stems removed
- 3 tablespoons coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons poppy seed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 tablesppon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon powdered turmeric
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a spice mill and process to a fine powder.
Photo by Mike van Schoonderwalt from Pexels
The following two tabs change content below.
Publisher | Christened the "Pope of Peppers" by The New York Times, Dave DeWitt is a food historian and one of the foremost authorities in the world on chile peppers, spices, and spicy foods.
Latest posts by Dave DeWitt (see all)
- Enchiladas Verdes con Chile Pasado - 02/08/2023
- Smoked Oysters with Ancho Chile Sauce - 01/13/2023
- Machaca Sierra Madre - 01/11/2023