This is a simple and quick lacto-vegetarian recipe. This dish makes a good option for a picnic as well as a potluck party.
- 6 large ancho chile peppers
- 12 ounces refried beans
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 serrano chiles optional, if you want more heat; finely chopped
- 12 ounces Monterey Jack or cream cheese
- vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- Carefully make a side cut on the anchos and remove the seeds and veins, then rinse them.
- Dip the chiles in boiling water for one minute. Remove them, drain, and reserve them.
- In a pan, sautée the onion, garlic and serrano. Add the beans and salt. Refry for 3 minutes, then stuff the mixture into the chiles and add the cheese. Heat the stuffed peppers and serve.
Share this Recipe
The following two tabs change content below.
Publisher | Christened the "Pope of Peppers" by The New York Times, Dave DeWitt is a food historian and one of the foremost authorities in the world on chile peppers, spices, and spicy foods.
Latest posts by Dave DeWitt (see all)
- Enchiladas Verdes con Chile Pasado - 02/08/2023
- Smoked Oysters with Ancho Chile Sauce - 01/13/2023
- Machaca Sierra Madre - 01/11/2023