“This is only one of 11 bottles in the whole country,” Cobra Chilli’s Vaughn and Lisa Henry told me at the Fiery Foods Show in March when they handed me a bottle of their Mild Smoky Barbecue Glaze.
Few things in life make me light up like having something else (almost) no one else does and this one was still pending FDA approval at the time! My Inner Gollum was absolutely giddy at the prospect of having a new Precious to covet. On a related note, I should probably get out of the house more often. But I digress.
Which brings us to this year’s show and this here sauce. The Henrys were exhibiting and selling quite well; they quickly ran out of several products but were able to sneak me the Mild Smoky Barbecue Glaze. It gets its mild kick from the jalapeno pepper and lands on the sweet side of the flavor spectrum courtesy of the molasses that makes it a good, sticky glaze. Smoky paprika gives it a smoky note too.
I used it on some rather salty pork ring sausage because I thought the sweetness would balance well with it and that was indeed the case.
The flavors all worked well as a team. Moving forward, I’d happily recommend it for grilled meats, especially chicken and pork chops. Once I was done grilling up the sausage, I chopped it up and added it to the blood orange habanero rice below and chowed down!
- Combine the ingredients for the rice and start cooking per the instructions on the rice cooker or package.
- While the rice is cooking, preheat your grill for direct cooking. Slice the sausage into thirds, then cut the pieces into halves horizontally. Brush them with enough glaze to give them a coat. Grill covered for 3-5 minutes, flip, and reglaze.
- Grill for 3-5 more minutes, flip, and reglaze. Remove the sausage, slice it, and add it to the rice.
Share this Recipe
The following two tabs change content below.
Managing Editor | Mark is a freelance journalist based out of Los Angeles. He’s our Do-It-Yourself specialist, and happily agrees to try pretty much every twisted project we come up with.
Latest posts by Mark Masker (see all)
- Hot Sauced Shad Roe with Green Chile & Pepper Cheese Scrambled Eggs - 04/24/2023
- Traeger Grills Launches New Flatrock Grill - 02/22/2023
- Traeger Launches Re-Imagined Ironwood Grills - 02/15/2023