You can actually use any fish roe in this recipe, so ask your local fishmonger what is available. If you’re in Richmond in April, you’ll find this breakfast shad recipe in restaurants. Of course, you won’t find the green chile eggs, as we do that here in New Mexico. This recipe will not win any awards from the Food Police.
Shad Roe and Eggs Ingredients
- 4 shad roes
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings, melted
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 eggs, beaten with a little milk
- 1/4 cup chopped green chile
- 1/4 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- Hot sauce of choice
- In a skillet, combine the shad roes and the bacon drippings and fry the roes for about 10 minutes, turning several times.
- When the roes are half-done, in another skillet melt the butter, add the eggs and scramble with a fork.
- When the eggs are nearly done, add the green chile and cheese.
- To serve, sprinkle the roes with your favorite hot sauce and place next to the eggs.
Latest posts by Dave DeWitt (see all)
- Pumpkin Hot Sauce (Yedubba We’t) - 06/09/2021
- Grilled Steak Kebabs - 05/26/2021
- Shad Roe with Green Chile and Pepper Cheese Scrambled Eggs - 05/24/2021