This spicy papaya salad recipe is the Thai equivalent to American coleslaw. It’s got a similar crunch, a similar freshness, but a lot of spice. Enjoy it on its own as a meal or along with your favorite curry.
Spicy Papaya Salad Ingredients
- 1 green papaya, peeled, seeded, and shredded
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 ripe tomato or 5-6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1-2 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 seeded and chopped Thai bird chili, jalapeño pepper, or fresh cayenne pepper
- The juice of 1-2 limes, preferably key limes
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup crushed peanuts
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, thinly sliced
- Add all of the ingredients into a large serving bowl, toss, and allow to sit for 30 minutes. Serve topped with crushed peanuts and fresh garlic slices.
The following two tabs change content below.
Publisher | Christened the "Pope of Peppers" by The New York Times, Dave DeWitt is a food historian and one of the foremost authorities in the world on chile peppers, spices, and spicy foods.
Latest posts by Dave DeWitt (see all)
- Enchiladas Verdes con Chile Pasado - 02/08/2023
- Smoked Oysters with Ancho Chile Sauce - 01/13/2023
- Machaca Sierra Madre - 01/11/2023