The combination of oregano and garlic imparts an Italian flavor to this vinegar, which we keep on the mild side so that the heat doesn’t mask the flavor of the garlic. Note: This recipe requires advance preparation.
- 1 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 10 whole cloves peeled garlic
- 2 fresh green chiles, like serrano or Thai cut in half length-wise
- 1 quart white vinegar
- Cover the oregano, garlic, and chiles with the vinegar in a large jar. Store in a cool, dark spot and leave the bottles undisturbed for three to four weeks. Strain and pour into clean, sterilized jars.
Share this Recipe
The following two tabs change content below.
Publisher | Christened the "Pope of Peppers" by The New York Times, Dave DeWitt is a food historian and one of the foremost authorities in the world on chile peppers, spices, and spicy foods.
Latest posts by Dave DeWitt (see all)
- Enchiladas Verdes con Chile Pasado - 02/08/2023
- Smoked Oysters with Ancho Chile Sauce - 01/13/2023
- Machaca Sierra Madre - 01/11/2023