This shrimp dish is one of my favorite stir-frys because it is very quick and simple to prepare. To vary the dish I sometimes add fresh pineapple chunks, bell pepper, and/or green New Mexico chiles.
Ginger Shrimp Ingredients
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons chile oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 small onion, cut in wedges and separated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- Garnish: Chopped green onions, including some of the green
For the Seasoning Sauce:
- 3 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed piquin chile
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine all the ingredients for the seasoning sauce in a bowl, stir to mix and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water, stir to mix and set aside.
- Heat a wok or heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot and add the oil. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add the shrimp and stir-fry for about 30 seconds or until they turn pink. Remove, drain, and keep warm.
- Add the onion and stir-fry for 1 minute. Push the onions to the side of the pan.
- Add the seasoning sauce and cook until the sauce starts to thicken. Slowly stir in the cornstarch mixture and continue to simmer until thickened. Return the shrimp and toss to coat. Heat until the sauce forms a glaze over the shrimp and vegetables.
- To serve, mound the shrimp on a serving platter and garnish with the green onions. Serve with plain white rice.
Latest posts by Dave DeWitt (see all)
- Andalusian Mixed Paella - 10/12/2021
- Alaska Salmon with Copper River BBQ Sauce - 10/11/2021
- Butternut/ Pumpkin Roast with Chickpeas and Lentils - 10/06/2021