To “mull” a beverage is to heat it with other ingredients to impart a flavor. I mulled over several formulas before choosing this one with its pungent punch.
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1 tbsp finely ground ancho or pasilla pepper
- 1 lemon, sliced very thin
- 1 orange sliced very thin
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp whole cloves
- 2 cups dark rum
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and heat, but do not bring to a boil. Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Strain the mixture through a sieve, pour into mugs, and serve warm.
Share this Recipe
The following two tabs change content below.
Publisher | Christened the "Pope of Peppers" by The New York Times, Dave DeWitt is a food historian and one of the foremost authorities in the world on chile peppers, spices, and spicy foods.
Latest posts by Dave DeWitt (see all)
- Enchiladas Verdes con Chile Pasado - 02/08/2023
- Smoked Oysters with Ancho Chile Sauce - 01/13/2023
- Machaca Sierra Madre - 01/11/2023