Chicken is one of the most popular meats to be cooked on an outdoor grill. Because chicken cooks quickly, it’s well-suited for winter grilling. This recipes pairs grilled chicken with a seasonally inspired relish that combines the tang of uncooked cranberries with the sweet heat of horseradish. (This recipe requires advance preparation.)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp crushed fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp granulated onion
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup whole cranberries, washed and picked over
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish, drained
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Prepare the relish at least one day in advance. The relish will keep, covered and refrigerated, for one week.
- Using a small food processor, roughly chop the cranberries. Add the sugar, horseradish and lemon juice. Pulse to combine. Transfer the relish to a storage container and refrigerate at least one day. Serve at room temperature.
Chicken and Marinade
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
- Trim any fat from the chicken and gently pound to an even thickness. Place the chicken in a resealable plastic bag and add the marinade. Marinate for at least one hour or up to four hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry; season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill for medium high (375 degrees F.) direct cooking.
- Grill the chicken for seven to eight minutes per side or to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter and bring to the kitchen. Tent the chicken with foil and let it rest for five minutes before serving.
Share this Recipe
The following two tabs change content below.
Publisher | Christened the "Pope of Peppers" by The New York Times, Dave DeWitt is a food historian and one of the foremost authorities in the world on chile peppers, spices, and spicy foods.
Latest posts by Dave DeWitt (see all)
- Enchiladas Verdes con Chile Pasado - 02/08/2023
- Smoked Oysters with Ancho Chile Sauce - 01/13/2023
- Machaca Sierra Madre - 01/11/2023